ID1 Form Land Registry (How to Complete it!)

id1 form


The ID1 form is used to provide evidence of identity to the Land Registry for a private individual in respect of certain property-related applications.

This article covers:

The ID1 form is required when making one of the following applications:

  • a transfer of land or a transfer of a mortgage
  • an amendment to a deed or an amendment that leads to a transfer, following the appointment or retirement of a trustee
  • registering a lease
  • the surrender of a registered lease
  • registering a mortgage
  • a discharge of a mortgage
  • a release of a mortgage
  • a compulsory first registration, where relevant
  • a voluntary first registration where:
  • the deeds have been lost, and
  • the application is being made by a private individual who is not a conveyancer or corporate body, and
  • the private individual lost the deeds themselves
  • a change of name by deed pool, statutory declaration or statement of truth
  • a change of address

Where the transaction related to the application involves more than one party, an ID1 form must be completed for each party.

ID1 Form Exceptions

ID1 form is not intended for use by a conveyancer or a financial institution; it is suitable only for private individuals.

It will not be necessary to submit an ID1 form where the land value is £6,000 or less. In place of the form, a certificate which confirms the value of the land should be submitted. This certificate, and the related valuation, should be provided by a suitably qualified professional such as a surveyor or auctioneer.

An individual who is not a conveyancer or financial institution need not submit an ID1 form when acting in any of the following capacities:

  • trustee in bankruptcy, liquidator, supervisor, administrator or administrative receiver who has been appointed under the Insolvency Act 1986
  • receiver appointed under the Law of Property Act 1925
  • deputy appointed under the Mental Capacity Act 2005
  • personal representative assenting or transferring the land

Where it is not possible to complete an ID1 form, for instance, where a tenant has left the leased property or otherwise abandoned the lease, the tenant cannot be traced and it is now necessary to close the leasehold title, the conveyancer involved should provide a letter explaining the situation.

Where it is only necessary for a lease or mortgage to be noted on the register, it is not necessary to submit an ID1 form.

Finally, where the application is for a voluntary first registration, it is only necessary to submit an ID1 form where the title deeds have been lost or destroyed.

When must the ID1 form be submitted to the Land Registry?

Complete the ID1 form as early as you can and before any contracts are exchanged.

How to complete the ID1 form

When completing the ID1 form as a private individual to establish your identity, you must only complete Section A yourself.

Section A asks for the following information:

  • Title, first names and surname
  • Date of birth
  • Current address and length of time at that address
  • Any other addresses you have lived at during the last 5 years
  • Home, work and mobile telephone numbers
  • The type of application you are making, for instance, for a mortgage or a first registration
  • Title number
  • Address of the property

Once you have completed Section A, your identity must be verified by a conveyancer, chartered legal executive or a Land Registry customer information centre, who will complete Section B of the ID1 form. The Land Registry do not charge for the identity verification service but a conveyancer or chartered legal executive will.

If you decide to verify your identity through a Land Registry centre, you must submit your application at the same time so ensure that section A of the ID1 form is completed fully. Where the transaction involves more than one party, all related parties must attend the centre at the same time to make their applications.

To use a Land Registry centre, you must contact them beforehand to make an appointment and to check exactly what forms of identification they will accept. Please give 72 hours’ notice when requesting an appointment.

Along with the ID1 form, take evidence of your identity with you including two copies of an up-to-date passport style photograph which clearly shows your face. One of the photographs, duly certified and signed on the back by whomever verifies your identity, will be attached to the bottom of the ID1 form.

What if you can’t go to a conveyancer, legal professional or the Land Registry?

If, for whatever reason, you can’t travel to any of the professionals or organisations that could verify your identity, contact the Land Registry by email or telephone to discuss how you can proceed with your ID1 form submission and identity verification.

ID1 Form: What should you provide as evidence of your identity?

Evidence of your identity must be provided as proof of your name and address and to guard against identity fraud.

Firstly, you must provide two copies of a passport style photograph that shows your full face, is recent and from which you can be identified. To accompany this, you must provide identity documents. These may include, but are not limited to:

  • a current valid passport
  • birth certificate
  • utility bills that are less than 3 months old
  • council tax statement for the current year
  • council rent book with rent paid entries for the last 3 months
  • your most recent mortgage statement
  • current photocard full driving licence (a provisional driving licence is not acceptable)
  • bank statement
  • credit or debit card accompanied with a statement that is less than 3 months old
  • firearms licence
  • a solicitor’s letter regarding the subject of the application

It is always advised to check with your conveyancer, chartered legal executive or Land Registry centre for a complete list of identity documents they will accept and in what combination.

Verification of identity for persons located overseas

Where you wish to submit an ID1 form to the Land Registry and you live overseas, it may not be possible for your identity to be verified in the UK. In this situation, Section B of the form should be completed and your identity verified by a solicitor or notary public from the country where you live.

Where you are a member of the armed services operating abroad, your identity may be verified by an officer who is also operating abroad. In addition to the usual requirements, the officer should include your passport number when completing Section B of the ID1 form.

Making multiple applications

Where you are simultaneously making multiple applications to the same Land Registry office and the applicant is the same for each submission, it is only required that you provide one set of identity evidence for each party. Where there are different parties, identity evidence must be provided for each party.

Where you are making multiple applications to different Land Registry offices, you must provide identity evidence to each office.

Facility letters

Facility letters are provided to individuals who have regular contact with the Land Registry, bypassing the need to provide evidence of identity each time, and can only be used where the property value is no more than £100,000.

If you are the holder of a facility letter, you must provide a copy with your ID1 form.

Legal disclaimer

The matters contained in this article are intended to be for general information purposes only. This article does not constitute legal advice, nor is it a complete or authoritative statement of the law, and should not be treated as such. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and no liability is accepted for any error or omission. Before acting on any of the information contained herein, expert legal advice should be sought.


ID1 Form Land Registry (How to Complete it!) 1

Gill Laing is a qualified Legal Researcher & Analyst with niche specialisms in Law, Tax, Human Resources, Immigration & Employment Law.

Gill is a Multiple Business Owner and the Managing Director of Prof Services - a Marketing Agency for the Professional Services Sector.

lawble newsletter sign up

Subscribe to our newsletter

Filled with practical insights, news and trends, you can stay informed and be inspired to take your business forward with energy and confidence.