Home Personal Family Law Grounds for Civil Partnership Dissolution

Grounds for Civil Partnership Dissolution

To apply for a civil partnership dissolution, you must provide the court with relevant legal grounds for the partnership to be brought to an end.

Grounds for civil partnership dissolution

In England and Wales, as with divorce, there is no system of no-fault dissolution. You cannot simply state that you have fallen out of love or that you have grown apart.

An application for a dissolution order may be made by either civil partner on the ground that the relationship has “broken down irretrievably”, i.e. to the point where it cannot be saved. To satisfy the statutory “irretrievable breakdown” requirement, you must prove one of the following four sets of facts:

  • Unreasonable behaviour: your partner has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with them. This could include physical or verbal abuse, financial irresponsibility or sexual infidelity.
  • Desertion: your partner has left you, against your wishes and without good reason, for a continuous period of at least 2 years.
  • 2-year separation with consent: you and your partner have lived apart for a continuous period of at least 2 years, and you both agree to end the civil partnership.
  • 5-year separation without consent: you and your partner have lived apart for a continuous period of at least 5 years. With a 5-year separation the consent of both parties is not needed.

Legal separation in a civil partnership

If you do not want to officially bring your civil partnership to an end, perhaps to allow you and your partner some time to reconcile, or it has been less than one year since you registered your partnership, you can apply for a legal separation to live apart.

In granting a separation order, the court will have regard to the same facts as those that can be relied upon when applying for a dissolution order, i.e. unreasonable behaviour, desertion, or that you and your civil partner have been living apart for a minimum of two or five years.

However, with a legal separation, neither of you will be free to register another civil partnership, or to marry, unless and until the court grants a final order following an application for dissolution.

Annulling a civil partnership

To annul a civil partnership means to declare it invalid. The court may grant an annulment in circumstances where either it can be shown that the civil partnership is void or voidable.

A civil partnership may be void in circumstances where either you, or your civil partner, were under the age of 16 at the time of entering into that partnership. It may also be declared void if certain formalities were not met, for example, that due notice of the proposed civil partnership had not been given prior to registering.

If your civil partnership is not legally valid, the court will treat it as if it had never taken place or ever existed.

A civil partnership will be voidable, for example, if either you or your civil partner did not give valid consent, whether because you were forced or not of sound mind. Alternatively, it may be voidable where one of you, although capable of giving a valid consent, was suffering from a mental disorder that made you unfit for a civil partnership.

If voidable, this means the civil partnership was legal at the time it was registered, but it isn’t legal any longer.

If you want to apply for an annulment, generally speaking you must do so within three years of the date you registered your civil partnership, or after three years with leave of the court.

Taking legal advice about civil partnership dissolution

Taking legal advice can help you to understand and enforce your legal rights if your relationship has broken down.

Other rules must be taken into consideration, for example, you cannot apply to dissolve your civil partnership within the first 12 months of the legal partnership.

While disputes about joint finances or custody of any children can become complicated and protract proceedings, typically the legal process that is required to officially end a civil partnership can, in itself, be relatively quick and straightforward.

Legal disclaimer

The matters contained in this article are intended to be for general information purposes only. This article does not constitute legal advice, nor is it a complete or authoritative statement of the law, and should not be treated as such. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the information is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and no liability is accepted for any error or omission. Before acting on any of the information contained herein, expert legal advice should be sought.

Lawble is a leading legal resource aimed at supporting businesses by providing reliable information, legal resources and links to leading and reputable legal service providers with business specialisms.

Must Read

16 Year Old Rights Against Parents

10 minute read Last updated: 12th August 2019 Your parents or carers are responsible for making sure you are safe and well usually until...

Who Gets Child Tax Credits in Shared Custody?

3 minute read Last updated: 11th August 2019 The question of who gets child tax credits in a shared custody arrangement can be complicated...

How to Make an Application to Vary a Child Arrangement Order

8 minute read Last updated: 12th August 2019 Making an application to vary a child arrangement order is rarely a straightforward process. While a child...

Can a Mother Stop a Father From Seeing Their Child?

10 minute read Last updated 16th August 2019 Can a Mother Stop a Father From Seeing Their Child? The welfare of the child is of...

Sears Tooth Agreement (and Funding Your Divorce!)

8 minute read Last updated: 13th August 2019 Under the current legal framework, the question of how to pay the legal fees for your...